Some good news for the truly regenerate followers of Jesus is that we don’t need to create artificial value for our lives.
We already have great worth in God’s eyes. When God looks at us he doesn’t just see us. He sees his son Jesus.
Here are some of the ways that we are identified in the New Testament:
- We already have “every spiritual blessing in Christ” Ephesians 1:3-14.
- We are a new creation. The old has gone, the new has come (2 Corinthians 5:21)
- We’ve been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God (I Peter 2:0)
- Nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:39)
- We are more than conquerers through him who loved us (Romans 8:37)
- Christ is not ashamed to call us His brothers (Hebrews 2:11)
No amount of earthly achievement can ever take the place of being born of the spirit, and receiving a revelation of our identity in Christ.
I’m all for achieving and working hard (anyone who knows me at all knows that). Yet, most of us Christians (including me) would be far better off if we had a better grasp of the significance of what it means to be identified with Christ.
I think it would bring about much more peaceful, joyful lives, and much less striving and disobedience among Christians.