The term “10/40 Window” refers to the area between the latitude lines 10 degrees and 40 degrees north. Here are a few facts about this area of the world, which all those who take seriously the charge to “go and make disciples of all nations” should note.
– The 52 least reached countries in the world are located between 10 and 40 degrees north latitude.
– 3.5 Billion people live there.
– 95% of the unreached people of the world are in this area.
– Of the 11,200 people groups in the world, 6,600 are still considered “unreached”.
– Only .05% of Christian giving goes to reaching the peoples of the 10/40 window.
– Only 7% of all international missionaries work within the 10/40 window.
(These stats are provided by The Traveling Team. )
In Romans 15:20 Paul says “It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known…” While there are certainly people all over the world who need to repent of their sins and treasure Jesus Christ above anything and everything else, there are whole ethnic and linguistic groups of people who have virtually no exposure at all to the gospel. When I first learned this, I was shocked! Many years later I still am.
How can this be the case over two thousand years after Jesus came and died that there are still so many who have no real access to this good news?
My heart breaks for those who have no access to the gospel. Those living in areas of the world who have more access to the gospel (probably almost anyone who would be reading this post) doing to see the task of reaching every nation completed?
I urge you to get involved in bringing to the utter most parts of the earth. May we see these stats change drastically in our generation!