I realize some of you may think me a bit strange for this, but I really do love reading books. It’s actually one of my favorite things to do, when I can discipline myself to sit still long enough.
Here are five reasons why I love reading books:
1. Through reading I can vicariously experience other places and cultures and that I may never get to visit.
2. Through reading books I can connect with some of the greatest thinkers and leaders in all of history, rather than being confined to whatever exists within the bounds of my own generation.
3. I’ve found that the exercise of reading itself helps to sharpen my mind and develop focus and concentration.
4. Reading books reminds me of my parents, and helps me to feel closer to them, both of whom are voracious readers.
5. The medium of the printed page makes it easy to move at whatever pace maximizes learning whether skimming over chapters that don’t contain much helpful information or dwelling on, re-reading and reviewing key sentences or paragraphs.
5. I’ve read things that have rocked me to the core and changed my whole perspective on life. Good reading isn’t just a passive activity, it’s a transformational experience.